This has been a rather “hard week” for me. When I say hard, what I really mean is annoying and frustrating and one of those moments when I want to shout and someone and I just have to remember that this is a journey and that there are going to be bumps along the way.

On the 13th sleep study at Northwest Sleep Health. Late last week I got a call from them asking me to come back in and do another Sleep Study and that they would like me to contact my primary care physician and ask him to prescribe some sleeping pills so that I would fall asleep faster this time. After doing the proverbial double take, I informed the girl that I had in fact, fallen asleep very quickly and that I had taken two Xanax just as I arrived there to help insure that, so really, I wasn’t understanding what the issue was.

She explained to me that they apparently hadn’t gotten the pressure on the CPAP high enough while they had me there and that they had wanted to put me on a BIPAP machine to see if that worked better for me and that they didn’t have the time to do that.

Now my problem with this, as is my problem with anything redundant, is that I felt the entire process was flawed. I’ve done sleep studies before this one; in fact I’ve had a CPAP for about seven or more years. Going into this sleep study I knew what to expect, I also knew that unlike my previous sleep studies, they did not have to spend the first portion of the night proving that I had sleep apnea and the second part of the night diagnosing how high the air pressure on the CPAP needed to be set at. In fact they had the entire night to get those pressures set correctly, so in my mind, the fact that they didn’t have enough time, showed a seriously flaw in how they preformed the study. The other issue I had is that I walked into their office with a CPAP that was already set to 18. They knew that my pressure was set very high and that if the pressure I needed exceeded 20 they would have to move me to a BIPAP machine, a machine that allowed for higher pressure settings. Now one might ask themselves why if you now someone’s pressure is already set to 18, you would start them out at a significantly lower pressure and then proceed to waist the entire night getting their pressure back up to 18. All I can really say is … Duh?

So after arguing my point back and forth with the woman that called me, she finally asked what I wanted to do and I told her that I wanted to speak to the doctor. Once the doctor phoned me back and I explained my feelings about how poorly the study was preformed, he actually agreed with me, and confirmed that he too, felt that the situation was handled poorly. He also offered to perform a study during the day, rather than at night, since I work a late night shift and letting me do the study during the day would eliminate me having to take another night off of work unnecessarily. This, along with the promise that I would not be charged for the second sleep study, convinced me to come back in and do a second study.

This time the study went off without a hitch, I actually had two techs doing it, one named Kendra, who is the most amazing lady, she’s been absolutely a dream working with me through this process, and another very nice lady whose name I’m afraid has slipped my mind.

I got the news today that they got the results of the study and that they do in fact want to move me to a BIPAP machine rather than a CPAP Machine and that I should be expecting a call from Providence Home Medical Care to get me set up with the new machine.

While I’m waiting for all that to take place, I face the first REALLY big challenge of my journey… my birthday. My birthday is just two days away and I’m crossing my fingers that I can stay on track here and not slip. However I have also promised myself that if I do, I won’t let it get to me too much, that I will get right back up and get back on track rather than letting it be something I beat myself up over. We’ll see how I do.